Saturday, January 2, 2016

Farewell 2015

December 26 - 31, 2015:

I go on a “Boxing day” hike on the Yetman Trail with a few neighboring Canadians from the campground. They are from British Columbia, are much fun and are truly serious hikers who are difficult to keep up with.  My hiking style is way slower as I stop often to check out the scenery, take photos, look at plants, rocks and rest.  I actually prefer to hike alone so I can stop when I want and go as slow or as fast as I want, but once in a while it’s nice to hang with the crowd.



On the trail

Nice mountain views


The uphill push to Gates Pass trailhead


Twinkles is easing back into hiking again, so we take a relaxed hike in Tucson Mountain Park behind Tucson Estates.  This is another very scenic area, actually the views are remarkable, where you can go for long distances and connect to several other trails.




Lots of trails

Interesting chain fruit cholla


Another trail view

    
The cold winter nights are continuing here in Tucson with low temperatures below freezing, down to the mid 20’s, but it warms up to about 60 in the afternoon, not so bad and winter here doesn’t last long. 

I have sanitized the water system and changed all filters in the past week, it’s way overdue, but very necessary.  There is much else to be done this winter, but no urgency. The placement of the water filter under the kitchen sink is yet another example of horrific RV design.


   

Next time I will use the quick disconnect hose fittings


Another task to work on is a couple of boxes of postcards and small pictures that I have amassed over the two past years.  It’s a mix of old and new stuff that I need to get into albums or display in the RV on a rotating basis.  I need to get some of these into storage somewhere so I have room to collect more.  It’s another addiction ?




Album page


I passed on the Tuesday live folk/comedy music show at the campground, I like some forms of folk, but not when comedy is thrown in.  I take my folk seriously !

I’m out to LaCocina again for the Lana Rebel and Kevin Mayfield musical adventure.  It’s an eclectic mix of songs that I hear from them most every night, but they never seem to get old and they keep coming up with new surprises.  The  Woody Guthrie song “I ain’t got no home in this world anymore” was a particularly enjoyed song.  They were playing inside the cantina as it is another chilly evening and it is full with dinner folks.  Note: A search for Woody Guthrie song lyrics will uncover a mind boggling and amazing collection of songs.  

Twinkles and I do a favorite hike on Brown Mountain on the morning of New Years Eve amidst sunny blue skies and warming temperatures.


   

A nice grouping of Teddy Bear Chollas

Drooping arms of a frost damaged Saquaro

A trail view with those sharp pointed Tucson peaks

The Saguaros are particularly dense in places


Another campground activity is the New Years Eve dinner, then a silly $5 gift exchange/trade event followed by an oldies dance.  I am wondering if I can fake illness after the dinner ?  I don’t particularly have any problems with dancing, other than a lack of desire and practice, but the oldie and soft rock stuff doesn’t really get me going.  Twinkles and others force me into it and now I’m afraid the secret is out that I actually can dance "somewhat" and will now be expected at all the dances.
   

Dancing to the oldies

The party's over !


It was a great year for us during which we traveled through the states of Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah  and Montana and saw some incredible stuff.  Please check the next post for a brief summary.

Happy New Year to all !
Twinkles and Slick

No comments:

Post a Comment