Friday, August 2, 2019

Klamath Falls, Oregon

I make stops in Mt. Shasta and in Weed, California  before entering Oregon.  Mt. Shasta is the actually largest mountain in the Olympic Chain although Mt. Rainer rises to a higher elevation.  In height Mt. Shasta is taller when measured from its base to its summit.  Mt Shasta is an imposing monument looming over the city of Mt. Shasta.  Mt. Shasta has a nice clean downtown, but nothing of much interest except for a few restaurants and few outdoors equipment stores.  They also, like Dunsmuir, lay claim to having the best water with a fountain in the center of downtown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Shasta,_California


Downtown Mt Shasta is outdoor sports friendly being next to the mountain

Although they do have an Ace Hardware with a view

Weed California on the other hand, also in the shadow of Mt. Shasta, continues to promote itself using the town name and its connection to Cannibiis .  It’s selling a lot of tee shirts, but that’s about all, they need a different approach.   The main business district is almost a ghost town, I walked around it on a Saturday afternoon, no one was on the street, everything was closed and many of the stores appeared vacant.  The only person I saw was a young guy, sort of beat looking, who begged a couple dollars from me telling me how he had arrived in Weed by jumping a freight train, it was his first time and he fell getting off.  His friend then showed up with a few cups of water and I said “good luck” and dashed quickly away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weed,_California


The big welcome arch leads to empty sidewalks


There are a few nice buildings left

Overall Weed does not project a wholesome image

As I am taking a photo of the Weed souvenir store, an attractive young girl gets out of her car and asks me if I would like a couple of joints because she is headed to Canada and doesn’t want to take a chance with them at the border.


Weed Souvenirs are plentiful 

I pull out of Weed and head north into beautiful wide open range country stopping a few times at roadside viewpoints and rest areas.


I stopped for another look at Mt. Shasta

Made a rest stop next to this beautiful grassy meadow

A former roadside attraction that is slowly decaying

Only the sign remains of the Juniper Lounge and Motel  

I'm finally out of California, it's been fun, but time for a change ! 

I arrive in Klamath Falls about 4 PM on a Sunday and park on Main Street. I take a walk down Main Street for several blocks, almost everything is closed.  I have been to Klamath Falls before and everything is slowly coming back to me.  There is much beautiful architecture here, there are a couple of good museums and a beautiful lake.  I covered the town very well in my blog post back in 2014 and not much has changed.  The one notable change is that the wonderful old Ford Egyptian Building is now gone, turned into playground.  it was in badly deteriorated condition and it needed a very wealthy inverstor to save it, there were no takers and it was demolished since my last blog.  Hopefully they saved some of the archeological details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klamath_Falls,_Oregon

http://travelswithtwinkles.blogspot.com/2014/09/klamath-falls-and-lakeview-oregon.html

I basically took the same photos that I had taken on my previous visit again and I'd hate to overly repetitious, please check the above link to my previous blog post.

The first Train arriving in Klamath Falls

The Egyptian building is gone, but at least its not a parking lot

It just seems wrong that a Pizza shop is in this incredible building

Klamath Falls water fountains are special

The Bank building is a beauty

Zooming in on its great details

Can't resist a photo of of a ghost sign on building

I went to the Pikey Irish Pub which calls itself an Irish pub, but they really shouldn't. There was a band playing, the Black Cadillac Kings,  who sounded interesting.   They were actually very good, I liked them and the lead vocalist had a loud, gravely voice, rather unusual and did one of the best renditions of Credence Clearwater I’ve ever heard.  The clientele in the bar were making me very uncomfortable however and I left after one hour.


The Black Cadillac Kings in action

Overnight at the Pilot Truck stop but parking in the front is very limited and noisy.  Gas prices are considerably less than California and like New Jersey you can not pump your own.  It seems so weird to wait for the attendant again.  

I decide I must return to Crater Lake again, it’s a nice ride getting there and once there the scenery is spectacular.  It is a bright sunny day with especially good light in the morning hours.  On my previous visit I think it was more cloudy.  I do a portion of the Discovery Point Trail and then the Watchman peak trail.  There are still pockets of snow left in the more shaded areas.  By mid afternoon it is getting very crowded, glad I arrived in the early morning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crater_Lake

Riding through the forest is beautiful

Crater Lake seems is an amazing view from any angle

View from a the edge

The Watchman Trail had some real snow left

From the WatchmanTower at trails end

Back in Klamath Falls I go to the Klamath Basin Brewing Company which I have been to a couple of times and it remains very popular.  They now have live music on their outside patio in the evenings from 6-9 PM.


Klamath Basin Brewing Co.


Once gain I didn't make it to the museum as it is closed on Sunday through Tuesday and I need to escape on Wednesday.   


Next stop is Eugene, Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment