Thursday, July 16, 2020

Stanley, Idaho

July 8 - 9, 2010:

I’m continuing north on route 75, the Sawtooth Scenic Byway, all the way to Stanley.  It is a very scenic drive especially when you get near the Galena Summit.  The mighty Salmon River, known as the “River of no return” has its headwaters on the slopes under the summit.  The highway then follows the Salmon River to Stanley, getting larger and faster as it travels.

View from the Galena Summit

Alexander Ross found it although the Indians had been there for thousands of years

I saw a sign along the route for the Easley Hot Springs and thought that could be a good diversion and it was !  I was able to use the hot tub, the pool and get a shower for about $10, petty good deal.


That's the view from the entrance to the hot springs

I also came upon a trailhead, my back feeling somewhat improved, and went for a hike not really knowing anything about the trail.  It was a popular trail to Titus Lake with some up’s and down’s, but not excessive for about 4 miles round trip to a beautiful high mountain lake.  The views were spectacular and I made it, in fact my back felt better during the hike than it does presently.


Heading up a steep section
The views were worth it

Titus Lake was a beauty 

Vibrant Indian paintbrush along the trail

Stanley is super congested with all varieties of RV’s, including custom vans which are the growing thing at the moment.  I am seeing more and more of these custom built high top vans with all the amenities.  There are several developed National Forest Campgrounds in this area with camping sites with tables and fire pits and toilet facilities along the Salmon River.  It looked like they were all filled, everyone has their RV out now, more than ever.  I ended up in a crude free undeveloped forest campground a few miles outside of Stanley.    
               
In the morning, frost on my  windshield at 7 AM !  I head to Stanley Lake which is a beautiful "picture perfect" lake with a developed Forest Service Campground.  
These are reasonably priced at $16 but no electric or water.  They usually have a small number of campsites and many are reservable, so at popular sites, at popular times, good luck finding one.  What annoys me is how the BLM puts up signs at parking areas along the highway, big open areas, saying “No overnight campers” although I doubt they make much of an attempt to enforce it.

I am took a 7 mile round trip hike to Bridal Veil Falls from a trailhead at the Lake, as were several other hikers.  The first mile or so is flat and winds through forest on a gravel bike path.  The wild flowers were great on this trail, it's coming to the peak period I would think.  The path then turns to dirt, the natural kind, and begins to climb gradually uphill.  So many of the trees are dying, its being caused by a pine beetle and there are dead trees all over in areas.

The signage signage is lacking, the usual thing, but eventually you see the Bridal Veil Falls high in the mountain, far in the distance through the trees.  You then come to a trail junction and have to make a stream crossing, then second crossing and then the trail becomes more faint like a deer trail snaking up the mountain.  I don’t think this is the real trail, but I took it steeply uphill for a while until it was getting too steep and treacherous.  The river from the falls was roaring nearby but the vegetation was so dense you couldn’t see anything.  Eventually, common sense prevailed and I turned around and went back down.  It was disappointing that there wasn’t really even a view of the Falls on this trail, but the wildflowers were great.


Stanley Lake was extremely nice

The easy section of trail

Many wildflowers are in bloom

This area burned a few years a ago

Bridal Veil Falls are hidden in there somewhere

I then returned to Stanley, rode by the old forest service museum and to my surprise it was open, it’s another great accomplishment by the CCC in the 1930’s.  A program like this should be instituted again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley,_Idaho


Old plow amid much greenery and mountains in distance

Downtown Stanley isn’t much to brag about, mostly just a collection of water rafting and fishing services.  A few restaurants, several hotels / motels, rental cottages, a gas station and a general store.  It’s a beautiful place, but except for the tourist business, not much going on.


The Village Market
The Salmon River

Meadow view
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_River_(Idaho)

I feel my back is getting straightened out now, I’ve hiked for about 12 miles in the past to days and can still walk.  It’s a little too crowded here for me, I’m leaving momentarily towards Challis, Idaho.

No comments:

Post a Comment