Sunday, September 5, 2021

Bird City, Kansas to Fort Morgan and Boulder, Colorado

July 30-31, 2021:


I take route 36 west to route 27 (the Land and Sky Scenic Byway) into Nebraska.  This is a really beautiful drive that truly lives up to that scenic designation. 

 

It's a very beautiful drive

I pulled off the pavement onto a side road for this photo

I stop at a roadside historic Native American site, Cherry Creek, with a very good information kiosk that describes the events that took place here.  The landscape looks relatively unchanged from that period of time and reading the account of what happened and looking around is thought provoking.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Creek_massacre 


http://www.kstravel.com/cherry-creek-encampment/



The event that united the tribes in war

Its hard hard to image 800 to 1,000 Tepis set up in this valley

The first target of the tribes

The war escalates to the north and ultimately to the Battle of the Little Bighorn

Black Kettle and George Bent were prominent leaders

The terrain at the roadside with a Buffalo sculpture

The sign

The road then continues into Nebraska, but only for a few miles until crossing into Colorado.  This is a very poor looking agricultural area, doesn’t see or feel like the Colorado that I am familiar with or that you see in tourism guides.  I stop at a few towns along the route, most of the side streets are dirt, the downtowns are ghost town like in appearance, poor and depressing.



That's representative of the area

The fire department

I arrive at my destination for the night, Fort Morgan, in late afternoon and go directly to the Walmart, that’s kind of depressing too ?  I refill my water jug, buy a few other grocery items, cash in my pile of change that is overflowing on my dash and search for a good dining spot.   I go to a restaurant on Main Street, Cables Pub and Grille, which is excellent, it would be a favorite spot if I lived here.  Main street is nice, clean and prosperous looking with a nice business district.  The Library and attached Museum also look good, but are closed. 



Mural in Fort Morgan

 My RV app is telling me that overnight stays at Walmart are not allowed, but I see several RV’s and truckers in the lot so I decide to stay.  Then at about midnight, I hear a conversation nearby with someone asking if they are okay or need help.  This is the downside of being a light sleeper, I wake up to every noise.  This conversation goes on and on, making me a bit nervous. It then quiets down for about half hour and then resumes although I can’t hear exactly what is being said.  I look outside and see that it is coming from a very rough looking camper nearby.  That’s when I decide to move to the other side of the parking lot away from this situation where everything was quiet for the rest of the night. This is one of the downsides of staying at Walmart, there can be troublesome people who park near you.


In the morning, I do laundry, fuel up and around noon time head for Boulder, Colorado where I will meet my sweetheart where we have an Air B&B reserved for the month of August.  It’s a 100 mile jog to Boulder with no complications, no wrong turns, no near crashes or road rage. I arrive before Twinkles arrives and get into the apartment and everything looks great.  I then take a ride to a nearby park adjacent to the Boulder Creek walking and biking trail which looks like the popular spot on a nice Sunday afternoon.  


Very nice, but many homeless vagabonds are camping on the perimeter of the trail

After Twinkles arrives and we get unloaded we walk downtown to the Pearl Street Mall area and have dinner.  Alice the cat is initially frightened of me and hides under the bed, but eventually figures out who I am and comes out.



Twinkles looking fine on Pearl Street 

 The Van will be parked for a while, the tour is on hold, but there will be more adventures here in Boulder and I may even be able to catch up my this blog which is way, way behind.


Stay tuned for more !

No comments:

Post a Comment