Thursday, July 25, 2019

Red Bluff, California


I leave Sacramento in the morning heading north on route 5 with the intention of driving straight to Redding, California. That plan changes quickly as I exit to visit the nearby town of Woodland.  It was a good choice, it has another great small downtown.  I then decide to take routes 113 and 99 north which pass several small towns along the way that hopefully will have more local flavor, I am in no hurry !  It turns out to be another brilliant decision when I arrive at Marysville / Yuba City which have grown together and the town of Chico.


Came upon this great mural somewhere near Woodland

Downtown Woodland view

Beautiful Drug Store with interesting umbrella display

Also a beautifully restored sign

Beautiful paint job

Interesting old Hotel

Sunflower fields outside of town


The Elrey Theater in Chico

It's amazing to me how these beautiful old bands eventually
become Jamba Juice shops ? 

The Senator Theater in Chico


Old Chinese area of Marysville or Yuba City ?

Very ornate colorful mural nearby

Another interesting one, many similar buildings remained in this area

Hard to believe that Macy's started here in the Chinese area

The Tower next to the first Macy's is for sale, it's a landmark but
in need of much work and money

Mural in Marysville or Yuba City, these two cities are connected

After all this excitement I’m feeling a little tired as I pull into Red Bluff and thinking; if this place appeals to me, I will stay here tonight. One circuit around the central downtown puts that question to bed, yes.  It’s Sunday the streets are deserted with most stores closed, but I like what I am seeing.  About the only place open is the Roundup Saloon so I go inside to cool off.  It’s my kind of place, not too polished or too rough, pleasant and friendly, just right.  Red Bluff is a big rodeo town, although I haven’t seen anyone looking too cowboy.  They say it is one of the oldest (almost 100 years) and largest rodeos in the west.  There is also the Palomino Club in town, it’s sort of the rodeo center and museum, but closed.  Red Bluff is also a river town sitting the banks of the Sacramento River, the most northern point for boat navigation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bluff,_California


Historic Odd Fellows Hall 

The Round Up Saloon was my happy hour spot

The State Theater is fully restored, the sign lights up and flashes at night

Nice flowers along Main Street

Red Bluff Round Up museum and headquarters

Palomino Room, the popular place during the rodeo

A large Hotel once stood on this spot, It appears that
they duplicated part of it in this park space

This was a great looking business and restored sign


The Sacramento River park area

Red Bluff gets its name from the color of the rocky bluffs.
I couldn't find any red rocks, are any left ?

 According to the RV campsite app on my phone that I still use occasionally this is one of the few Walmarts to still allow RV overnight, but I only see one RV when I ride over to check.  I park in rear corner away from the bright overhead lights and no one comes a knock’n.  Someone did come by very early in the AM making considerable noise which I later determined to be a homeless type checking the trash cans for bottles.  That is something they do, I expect there is much competition, so you have to get out early before the competition.  That’s why these people are sleeping most of the day, they’re tired by the afternoon,  you gotta be out very early to get the good stuff, it’s a hard life.  

I also am seeing that many restaurants, mostly fast food places have door locks on the bathrooms.  They don’t let them in because they tend to make a mess, doing a shower in the sink or something like that.  There are so many homeless, some are poor displaced types, some are young vagabond types and some that are a little mentally off.  I am seen as a likely prospect, good for a couple of dollars which is usually true, but I do have limits.      

It is really hot, almost 100 degrees and the van interior gets even hotter.  As a result, I have been eating out more often.   My expensive ice chest is a big pain, I see why people spend the big bucks for the refrigerator and solar array to power it, when it is this hot I have to drain melt water and add a bag of ice every day.  It’s not a problem when in a town, ice id easy to get, but when out in the boonies you may have to travel several miles.  I’m beginning to think you’re just as well with a cheap Coleman ice Chest.

I could spend more time in Red Bluff, it's pretty comfortable here, but got to keep moving.     

Next stop is Redding, California


No comments:

Post a Comment