Monday, July 29, 2019

Redding, California



I was excited as I read a Redding, California web page; it sounded as if downtown Redding was a mecca of entertainment and cuisine, but when I arrived in the Market Street area I didn’t find nearly as much. A one block section is now closed off and under a complete redevelopment, when this is done perhaps there will be more to brag about.  I then looked up local attractions and it was mostly city parks, the Sundial Bridge and the River Trail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redding,_California


The Cascade Theater is nicely restored, a good start

The ticket window

An original Bell Telephone office

Major redevelopment in progress

I found it interesting how they are financing this with
California climate investment funding, doesn't seem right ?

Great old photos of Redding were displayed but in bad condition


Old Lorenz Hotel was totally  renovated and is now open for senior housing

I started off at City Hall, I should say the huge new City Hall, not sure why such a huge building is necessary.  I went to see the sculpture garden (another attraction) on the city Hall grounds along with a water fountain.  The Water fountain is attractive, but the sculpture garden not so much, I hesitate to list it as an big attraction.


This wooden sculpture to appear as a breaking wave was
the most prominent sculpture in the park


The water fountain with city Hall in background

Next I went to the Turtle Bay Arboretum and Botanical Garden which is a huge wooded area adjacent to the Sacramento River that has been developed with many trails and mediterranean climate zone plants and shrubs.  They seem to be very into the fact that this area has a similar climate to the Mediterranean.  It was very hot and I planned to go only a short way but then I saw the Sundial Bridge up ahead and continued on.  I was planing to do the bridge next, I thought it was a road bridge over the Sacramento River and was surprised by what I saw.  It is a walking or biking bridge, a very cool design and way better than expected.  The Sacramento River is a fast flowing and wide body of water and a very scenic view from the bridge  The bridge crosses the river and connects to the River Trail network on the other side.  There is also a museum, mainly for children, a gift shop and parking lot for the the River Trail.  The gift shop had all sorts of souvenir objects and cold drinks, the cold ice tea was really appreciated !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundial_Bridge_at_Turtle_Bay


Map of the extensive park

The Sundial Bridge is an amazing structure 

An interesting walk

Looking out at the river from the bridge 

Looking back from the opposite shoreline

Many pretty flowers along the botanical garden path

Such as this

There were many

A few miles away I happened upon another parking lot for the River Trail on the opposite side of the river with an historical marker for a former car campground and a restaurant and dance club, now long gone.  Across the road was another small parking spot that is directly under a highway bridge popular with fishermen and with a great view of this enormous railroad bridge, must be at least a mile in length.  As I was looking a train crossed the bridge and I had the camera, almost perfect timing through the branches of the tree


I imagine its a bit of a thrill ride for the train crew

These are long freight trains

After sweating half the night in the van, I decided a motel would be nice so I made a reservation for a modern looking Motel 6.  It was a clean, attractive, but very basic.  In fact in the morning when turning in my key, a man was complaining to the management about the lack of small bottles of shampoo and conditioner in the rooms.  The motel was located in an area that seems to be the new Redding downtown with many new chain hotels, restaurants and service businesses.

Prior to my hotel stay I went for a good hike, knowing a shower would feel especially good afterwards.  I went on the FlanaganTrail with a side trail to the top of Chamise Peak.  A lot of the trail was wooded, thankfully shaded and was predominately Oak and Manzanita forest with a scattering of older pine trees.  There was evidence of recent forest fires, but it hadn’t hurt the trees much.  The Manzanita trees were exceptionally beautiful with their colorful stripping.  The hike to the peak was a spiral climb that wound around the peak several times, I thought it would never end, but it was only a 2.5 miles round trip.  The view from the top was worth it, you could easily see snow covered Mt Shasta far in the distance and the Shasta Dam. There is a lot of good hiking in this area, there was much mining activity here and the old trails and roads remain. It became rather heated by noon and I wasn’t prepared well with only a few crackers and a small bottle of water so I was in a conservation mode.  It was then that I thought, what an idiot, what happened to my planning ?  It was fine due to the shade of the forest, but the hike was about 8 miles long and I was plenty hot and tired at trails end.


Oak leaves against slightly fire singed bark

The Manzanita Trees bark was peeling,
I think it's norma, need to look into this ?l 

This one is a beautiful reddish color


Trail view


Manzanita roots penetrate right through solid rock


View from the peak of Mt Shasta, Shasta Dam and Lake

In other direction the river

I think I lost a few pounds so no problem going for dinner at Shamless O'Leery'S Irish pub which is a popular local dining spot.  I had their Guinness beef pie with soda bread which was excellent, highly recommended.
I also sampled a burger a few blocks away at Woody's Brewing which is a very popular spot.  It was the usual overly stacked burger that is all the rage these days, sloppy and difficult to eat without disassembly but this was in fact very good.


Next stop is Dunsmuir, California

No comments:

Post a Comment