Saturday, August 14, 2021

Hannibal to Carrolton, Missouri

July 17 - 19, 2021:


It’s close to noon time when I really get on the road, taking routes 40 to 61 out of the St. Louis metropolitan area straight to Hannibal, Missouri with no stops.  I arrive around 3 PM and head to the visitors center for information.  The old downtown area on the Mississippi River is famous famous for Samuel Clemens better known as Mark Twain.  The town is petty much all about him, I wish I had read more of his stuff, but I didn’t.  I do my usual park and walk around taking photos of anything that strikes my fancy. 


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal,_Missouri


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Twain



Great Hannibal mural

The essence of womanhood

Beautiful Bank in Hannibal

Mark Twain Riverboat

Ornate victorian marketplace

Great firehouse mural

Around 6 PM I see a few people setting up chairs along Broadway Street like there is a parade or something, but I see no signs for anything.  I started thinking that there is something very weird going on here ?  I return about a hour later to find many people sitting along the street on folding chairs.  Finally I get it, Friday night is cruise night and that's a big deal in Hannibal, Missouri.  I thought that this kind of thing died out decades ago.  The locals just watch everyone ride around on the circuit over and over again, I suppose it’s better than getting trashed in bars ?    


I also found out that when you get away from the historic downtown tourist area that there is another larger side of Hannibal which is not so attractive.  Especially the Pilot Truck Stop where I overnight half the night until I can't tolerate the noise any longer.  


In the morning, I take a short Mississippi River boat cruise, it’s not a real authentic paddle wheel vessel, but a decent reproduction.  It is a narrated 1 + hour cruise on the river pointing out points of interest and interesting facts, I’m hopeful that I might learn something.  The main thing I learned is that there is still an incredible tonnage  of grain or other products being transported cheaply in these huge river barges.



The pilot house

The dining room

Looking down river from the dock

At the highway bridge where we turn and go upstream

Massive barges anchored in the river

I visit two Mark Twain museums and then walked up to the Mark Twain lighthouse on a hilltop overlooking the river which has to be the most ridiculous thing built to honor Mark Twain, a totally fake lighthouse.  I walked the several hundred steps up to it, it was quite a climb and not sure it was worth it.  More amazing were the remains of the 1930’s Mississippi River bridge that was dedicated by president Roosevelt, it is totally gone now except for a short entrance ramp.


French expedition led by Louis Hennepin was first European to explore this area


Moses Bates developed the townsite of Hannibal 

How safety matches came to be, most interesting

The Burlington Route where passengers can take their meals

Union Station is sadly no longer


                        The unsinkable Molly Brown was born in Hannibal, Missouri


Norman Rockwell series of illustrations on the adventures of Huck Finn

The Mark Twain Lighthouse

 I drove to the Lovers Leap hilltop where legend has it that the Indian chiefs daughter and her lover, from an enemy tribe, jumped to their deaths rather than be separated by the chief of the tribe.  The view looking down on the river and the town is worth the short ride even if this legend is false.  The riverboat just happened to be passing below.



View from Lovers Leap

Another decision point, which way to head from here, continue further north or start to head west ?  I decide to go west taking route 24 towards  Kansas City, Missouri.  It’ s a comfortable drive through farming country mostly corn, soy beans and wheat.  


I pass through several small to medium size towns stopping at Monroe City, Moberly, Brunswick, Salisbury and then for the night in Carrollton, Missouri.  I found all of these towns to have something interesting to see. 



Bank in Monroe City, MO

Mural in Moberly, MO

The beautiful 4th street theater in Moberty, MO

Close up view of the intricate stonework

Grain Elevator at Salisbury, MO

Theater in Salisbury, MO

Nostalgic gas station in Brunswick, MO

Courthouse in Carrolton, MO

A crop duster plane over a corn field outside Waverly, MO

 I wanted to overnight on the Missouri River near Waverly, Missouri at a wildlife reserve, but once there found the deer flies and mosquitos to be excessive.  Anyhow, the ride was nice and the Missouri River was a great view from the bridge.  I end up back in Carrolton at a parking area adjacent to a town park.


Next stop is Kansas City, Missouri



No comments:

Post a Comment