Sunday, July 17, 2022

Green River - Sego Canyon - Moab and Arches National Park

July 8, - 13, 2022 :


I drive about 25 miles on I-70 east from Green River then take exit 182 where I find the Twilight Zone gas station and exotic beef jerky shop.  It appears to be a big attraction.  I then take a side road to Thompson Springs where there is a tiny park area with a hand written map giving directions to the Sego Petroglyph site about 3 miles away in Sego Canyon.  There is also a nice sign across the road pleading for visitors to not deface the petroglyphs as they are important history and a beautiful artistic metal sculpture of Folsom petroglyph figures.  This particular area of Utah has many Folsom sites and the Folsom petroglyphs are unique and sort of mysterious.


https://climb-utah.com/Moab/sego.htm


But first into the twilight zone at the exit

A message to visitors

The sculpture

The drive into Sego Canyon

Riding up to the rock wall the Petroglyphs are hard to see

But up close,  they stand out clearly

Another wall around the corner

The Petroglyphs are also hard to see in this light

But up close an hour later, they stand out clearly

Another petroglyph

Across the road in a corral area are these petroglyphs

The ghost town and cemetary of Sego are located about a mile further into the canyon.  There is a remarkable large stone building, a typical massive Mormon building built to last forever with finely cut stone and masonry with 3 foot thick walls.  There was no signage on the site, but I learn later about this town.  In it’s prime about 200 people lived here and worked in a nearby coal mine. There was railroad spur line into this canyon and the remains of many wooden bridge trestles remain.  This was a pretty serious mining operation and considerable money and labor was expended here. 



Decaying train tressle over wash

Old stripped out car left behind

The walls are still square and the masonry intact

Interior is totally stripped, but the walls are sound 

This was very well built, but no clue what it was 

 
After all this excitement, I continue on to Moab, Utah where I plan to spend several  days.  At the visitors center I learn that a reservation is needed to enter the Arches National Park, but there is an alternative.  If you enter the park prior to their opening time at 6 AM, the gates are open, you can drive right in, (without paying) and get a head start on everyone else to the popular spots.  This is perfect for me, I just park on a Moab side street for the night for an easy escape. 


https://www.nps.gov/arch/index.htm


It is in the 100 degree range and no cool breeze, the van interior is about the same, I have a fan blowing on me, but it’s not helping that much, I can’t sleep well, it’s a miserable night.  As a result, I leave extra early and drive into the park to the delicate Arch hiking trailhead.  There are several others already there and people are starting the 3 mile round trip hike before the sun is completely up.  I have done this trail before but didn't remember that it’s a pretty hard steep uphill climb.  When I reached the end people were already lined up to get their photo in front of the iconic arch.   I then drove further into the park stoping at most of the other viewpoints and doing several short hikes to various arches. 


People are lined up, very orderly, to take photos

Delicate Arch is always impressive

Another rock formation seen from the trail

A view into the fiery furnace area, a special permit is needed to enter

Looks like a maze 



The Tunnel Arch

Pine Tree Arch


It’s now getting hot and I am melting in the heat, I’m hot blooded !  I start to drive back out of the park at about 1 PM, at the visitors center to look at the great exhibits. 

I then return to downtown Moab, find the closed library (it’s Sunday) and the Museum also closed and I don’t feel like eating or shopping.  I try to find a cool place to park the van ending up along a park, but it’s still hot.  There is a water park, I should go over and check it out, could probably just walk in like a local and use the facilities.  I see a couple of other homeless types hanging out also, they look harmless so I open the van doors in an effort to cool the interior of the van, but there is no breeze.  It does look stormy in the distance, could be a rain shower, nothing more than a couple of drops of rain materialize.  I go to a restaurant to eat mainly to get some air conditioning and then I ride around looking for a overnight spot. I spend night two on another side street, it's not good to stay in one place.

In there morning, it has cooled down nicely overnight and while it’s cool I walk Main Street looking for interesting photos,  I’m not finding a lot, it’s mostly tourist shops, (tee shirts and hats), outdoor gear, restaurants, and many places to rent Jeeps and OHV’s but there is nothing impressive with the town architecture.  They have a food truck park area, fairly new I believe, in the center of downtown, it’s kind of weird and most of the food trucks are set in place, they no longer move.   They do have a couple of interesting bakeries  that I am trying to avoid, but my willpower is slipping.



An early historic Mormon building used as an entertainment venue now

A typical shop window

A serious bicycle family

These OHV vehicles have become the hot ticket these days

Downtown mural

Lodge sign

The food Truck Park

The Ravens are everywhere here

I’ve become addicted to the $3 cup of Huckleberry ice cream at the Spoke Restaurant on Main Street.  As I’m standing on the corner eating my ice cream watching the traffic go by, that “standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona” song comes to mind and I start watching to see if anyone is slowing down to see me ?  It’s not happening, in fact the traffic here on Main Street goes very fast, everyone is going over the posted speed limit.    


I then go to the library for a while to work on this blog that bleeds way too much of my time, but I'm enjoying the very nice library.   I end up doing the same later in the day at McDonalds, but there you get to watch the confusion of people ordering food using the new computerized touch screen machines.  McDonalds is focused on getting everyone to use these and their mobile app to order food ahead of time.  The younger generation is geared for this, they think digitally, they do everything on a phone or a credit card already, but old timers struggle with it.  


I need to get out of town, see some sights, so I take a ride on route 128 and find several small beautiful campgrounds along the Colorado River that I could get into for a minimal cost, I’m surprised that there there are open sites in the afternoon.  The views along this stretch are really impressive and there are many river float trips in the river which is mostly calm but very muddy. 



A Road view

Lots of water tour action too, but not much white water

The river was muddy brown, but beautiful

My plan was to go into Arches National Park after 5 PM, when the gates are open and anyone can enter without a reservation similar to the morning arrangement.  You have about 3-4 hours of time to dash to your desired attraction, take a hike or whatever when the heat isn’t so awful, the crowds not as heavy, the parking lots not over crowded and the evening light and the sunsets are truly amazing. You can even stay in and stargaze, but according to the rules, you can’t sleep in your motor vehicle.  I stayed till after dark, then drove back out to sleep in town on a side street which is probably unlawful also, but not enforced unless you become a problem. I am not sure about the names of some of these arches, so I will leave them blank.



Park Avenue view



Balanced Rock



North Arch

View for the Garden of Eden parking area

For my final night I check into a BLM campground ($10) on route 128 with a great mountain view in front and Colorado River and mountain views in rear.  It's beautiful, but super hot again and it's sweltering inside the van overnight.I might consider getting a tent for situations like this.



At river view

Looking across the highway

I’m getting tired of this town, it’s about time to move on, but it's hard to due to the great outdoors activities here.  The only problem is the heat, it’s Arizona hot.  I have one place on my list of places to visit that is further north, Helper, UT and then I will start my return south. 


In the morning, I go back into Moab to do laundry, get fuel and then I’m back on the road on routes 101 and I-70 heading for Price and Helper, UT.  I’m hoping for some cooler air there.  


No comments:

Post a Comment