Monday, September 9, 2019

Albert Lea, Minnesota

August 22, 2019:

It’s only about 150 miles to my tentative destination of Albert Lea, Minnesota but I expect to stop at several other roadside towns along the route.  Interstate 90 is an easy drive, straight and mostly flat with light traffic, but is rough in places and there are areas with construction delays where they are resurfacing it.  This segment from Sioux Falls to Albert Lea  is totally farm country, mostly well maintained, prosperous looking farms.


Endless corn fields

I made several stops in small towns that were close to the highway as noted in the photos below.


Riding into Sherburn, Minnesota

The Sherburn Theater in the Community Building and the big water tower

A most interesting clock

On & Off Sales in Sherburn 

Fairmont, Minnesota downtown view

My favorite restaurant that I haven't eaten at in Fairmont, Minnesota

The entire block of buildings was great

One of my favorite building foundations

I agree

Even when your foundation begins to fail !


Surfin USA in a Fairmont back alley
The Fairmont Opera House

The Slade Hotel in Adrian, Minnesota

Downtown Adrian, Minnesota

Old farmstead near Adrian, Minnesota

Hoarder's Haven in Adrian
Downtown Worthington, Minnesota

I chanced upon an unusual attraction and museum in Blue Earth, Minnesota which is the birthplace of the Green Giant Company and the Jolly Green Giant Statue.  Blue Earth is also the site where I-90 was completed on 9/23/78.  I-90 was constructed similar to the trans continental railroad with crews working from each end towards the center.  The joining took place at Blue Earth with a formal dedication ceremony.  A section of pavement was dyed gold and gold colored spikes were handed out as mementos.  (Don't understand why not blue, or green)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Earth,_Minnesota

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Giant


The Jolly Green Giant appropritely lives at Blue Earth


Advertising at its best


I-90 Dedication

Green Giant puts the city of Blue Earth on the map


How Blue Earth got it's name 

 I arrive in the City of Albert Lea at about 5 PM and park on Broadway Avenue.  I immediately liked this place, it has dozens of old late 1800’s to early 1900’s buildings in great condition.  It’s a very nice historic downtown and a music concert is scheduled in the evening at the lakeside park.  The sky is clear and the late afternoon light is great so I first wander around the historic area taking photos.  I have taken so many photos on this road trip, I’m afraid to count, I will be spending the rest of the year editing and organizing them.  Albert Lea sounds like a weird name for a city, it is actually named for Albert Lea who was a topographer who surveyed southern Minnesota in 1835. 

Albert Lea, MN


Albert Lea downtown view

The Albert Lea State Bank Building

The Syndicate Block Building

Lots to look at in this antique store !

Music concert in the Fountain Lake Park

View of Fountain Lake from the park
Nasty Habit Bar

The Freeborn County Courthouse


The four "dogs of the Nile"on the tower of the courthouse

The nearby Walmart does not allow RV's overnight but it's okay to park on an adjacent service road which is actually much better.  I park there with several others for the night.  

Next stop will be Lanesboro, Minnesota

1 comment:

  1. The last time I was up in that part of the world I went to the Winnebago factory in Forest City, IA and took the tour.
    It was a good tour but I like factory tours.

    ReplyDelete