Friday, September 13, 2019

Hays, Kansas

August 30, 2019:

It is a miserable dark and rainy start to the day as I leave Kansas City.  The GPS has mislead me onto an alternate route to avoid a toll.  I’m in moderate traffic, in the dark at about 6:30 AM and I can barely see the lines delineating the traffic lanes.  I exit after a few miles and pull into a convenance store to have coffee, some breakfast and wait for daylight.  I eventually connect with I-70 west which I will follow across Kansas.  

I made a few stops in the very picturesque towns of Paxico, Alma and Salina, Kansas along the route.


The Panico, Kansas grain elevator looks neglected 

Three towns and three stories are told here

The Paxico general store has much of interest, especially many restored old stoves
and an upcoming blues festival

Antiques too !

One of the more interesting houses in Alma, Kansas

Classic old gas station in Alma

Downtown Alma, Kansas view

The United Building in Salina, Kansas

The old Salina train station

Rooster's Tavern

An impressive immigrant story in Salina

Liked this mural in contrast to the blackened brick wall

I wanted to try one or a sack of them but the line was long.
They have been in business for 93 years !

I am undecided if I want to overnight in Ellis, Kansas or Hays, Kansas.  I first want to stop in Ellis to visit the boyhood home and museum of Walter P Chrysler and to look at the town sights since it is an old railroad town.  The woman at the museum is a very friendly local who guides you through the house.  The house was saved by a local car dealer, then bought by the Chrysler corporation and semi restored with lots of town and public support, donations and volunteers.  It was then turned over to the city of Ellis and it appears to me that funding is strained.  The town of Ellis is more of a working class railroad town, little in the way of tourist amenities and there is no big money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis,_Kansas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Chrysler


The boyhood home of Walter P. Chrysler

The dinning table

He was a good baseball player

Also good with the tools

I could use that 38 Dodge hubcap in this display case

Walter did OK in business too !

A 1927 Chrysler ?

He built one of coolest buildings in the US too !

His desk

Chrysler started his career as an Engine wiper

Downtown Ellis, Kansas view

The credit Union is important in Ellis

Knights of Columbus building

Ellis welcome station and old train station

Ellis remains a railroad town, but in the days
of steam was a huge maintenance shop.  Unfortunately the
museum was closed  

I then go about 12 miles west to Hays, Kansas with its more historic, western gunslinger history and University funding where things are looking more prosperous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hays,_Kansas


Nice mural in Hays

A downtown corner
Award winning Hays Library

Buffalo Bill Cody was a player in this area along
with many other characters


The Fox Theater

Nice brick paved streets

The Brass Rail Bar

There was a car show going on, this was my favorite car

This was OK too

 I have dinner at the Gella's Diner and brew pub.  Hays has a beautiful, modern library which tells you a lot about the prosperity and maybe the intelligence of a town. Also a miracle mile area with lots of lodging and restaurant chains and travel related services. I stay at the Walmart there, I hate them for killing private downtown business, but they are just too easy, too convenient, too efficient and the prices are tough to beat.    

Next stop is Colorado City, Colorado

No comments:

Post a Comment