Monday, September 16, 2019

Pagoda Springs, Colorado

September 2, 2019:

I decide to go for breakfast at a nearby favorite, the Bon Ton Cafe which I know is good.  I actually remember the waiter, Randy, from my previous visit, he's a pro.  I then walk around the block taking a few more photos and then hit the road.

I’m heading south on route 25 to Walensburg, Colorado with a stop in Pueblo, Colorado for a tour just to check things out.  I’ve spent much time in the past in Pueblo and it’s a favorite city.  Everything is looking as good as I remember, except the trees on Union Avenue which are getting too large and are hiding the beautiful architecture of the buildings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblo,_Colorado


This area across from the Train Depot has many interesting old signs and a collection
of restored old Pueblo neon signs 

The Train Station with the statue of Diane the Huntress is a great one

A lawyer with a sense of humor

Good art work 
  
I make a scenic lunch stop along the highway near Blanca, Colorado.


The prairie was so green

The San Luis Valley was a cultural crossroads with two army forts established here to
keep the peace. 

At Walsenburg, Colorado I stop to explore a while before heading towards Alamosa, Colorado.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walsenburg,_Colorado



Sardi's Bar looked like a popular spot

A deteriorating old gas station that hopefully will be saved 

The Fox Theater

This area was a crossroads of many cultures

Rosa's Cantina looked especially nice

Very colorful building

The Huerfano County Courthouse 

Why is the Green Elephant painted red ?

In Alamosa, as I am checking some vintage railcars and locomotives in the rail yard I spot a few familiar retired NJ Transit Locomotives.  I had monitored the overall of two of these Locomotives when they were being overhauled by MK at their Pueblo, Colorado locomotive shop about 30 years ago.  This equipment is now used by the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad which operated various tourist excursion trains into the Rocky Mountains.  I also found a few points of interest in downtown Alamosa.

https://www.coloradotrain.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamosa,_Colorado


A couple of former New Jersey Transit Locomotives

They have obtained several old coaches from various railroads
that are used for their excursion trains

The Bluebird Club streamliner car

The Alamosa train station

Alamosa  railroad heritage

The Rialto Theater

A original looking sign

Downtown view

1887 Masonic Hall

On a side street I come across an interesting bus converted
into an RV
  
Continuing on route 160 the road climbs very steeply to Wolf Creek Pass at 10,857 foot elevation, it was a grind, but very beautiful.  The Wolf Creek Ski Area is near the top of the pass which claims to get the highest snowfall in Colorado.  

On the very steep downhill, I stopped at a roadside pull off for Treasure Falls.  It was a 1/4 mile uphill hike to viewing platforms for the falls, definitely a worthwhile diversion.

It was then a long downhill stretch of road, but with great views and not enough viewing pull offs.  I passed several national forest campgrounds which were tempting if I had more time.  I also started passing many RV campgrounds, in fact this area seems to be overrun with RV's.  Many may be permanent residents, like trailer parks and not so attractive.


It was many miles of uphill

Not sure if this was a tunnel or a snow shed

At the top which is the continental divide, I stop to read the history of the road

Run away truck ramps and hairpin curves ahead 


Treasure Falls was a nice one

Looking down at the highway from the trail

At the town of South Fork, Colorado I come upon the old South Fork train depot and a couple of old wooden coaches that are sitting there rotting away.  This was an tourist excursion line a few years ago, but is now closed and for sale.


For Sale; You can have your own train line

However. It's in need of much work




I pull into Pagosa Springs about 6 PM and park in a downtown parking lot overlooking the river and hot springs.  I was surprised by the extent of these hot springs and the number of people sitting in pools in the San Juan River and across the river the huge hot springs resort.  Pagosa Springs is definitely a tourist town with many hotels, restaurants and outdoor related shops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagosa_Springs,_Colorado


The San Juan River and The Springs Resort and Spa

They advertise 21 various heated pools on the premises 

The overflow runs straight into the San Juan River

View from a bridge over the river

There are a few small rock lined pools in the river


The Liberty Theater

Downtown view with the Overlook Mineral Springs Spa on the roof top 

Pagosa Springs has a geothermal heated greenhouse project

Most of the town is heated by the geothermal hot springs which they claim are the deepest in the country.  I go to the Riff Raff Brewing Company for dinner which uses geothermal heat in their brewing process.

In the morning, I take a walk along the San Juan River and take a few more photos. The Springs Resort and Spa Resort is huge with lodging and 21 various heated pools.  I then drive up the hill from the downtown for about three miles to get to uptown Pagosa where most of the motels, chain restaurants and such are located.  On the way back to downtown I end up in a stop and go traffic grid lock, something I didn’t expect in Pagosa Springs.


The next stop is Gallup, New Mexico   

No comments:

Post a Comment