Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Flagstaff, Arizona

September 4, 2109:

I go for the free continental breakfast at the hotel in Gallup and use the internet until about 9 AM and then check out and get onto route I-40 west.  I make a scenic stop in Concho, Arizona on old route 66 with several Indian trading posts with interesting murals and signs.


It's an easy exit off I-40, how can you drive past ?

The scenic background alone is enough reason to stop for



I'm confused; my GPS says I'm in Concho, Arizona

I then continue to the Petrified Forest National Park where I exit the highway and drive through the park.  I make several short stops at viewpoints, but keep moving for the most part as I have seen this before several times.  


This is the Painted Desert area

These colors are amazing

Same photo from a different perspective

A few rock hood's by the side of the road

It is hard to imagine this area once being a tropical forest

Petrified wood is everywhere you look 

Driving across an open plains area

The park road brings you out onto route 180 where I head towards Holbrook, Arizona.  In Holbrook, AZ, I stop to buy a souvenir piece of petrified wood.  I am thinking that downtown is looking slightly better than I remember it.


The Indian Rock Shop dinosaurs are still standing guard

The Wigwam Motel is also looking good

I then continue on to Winslow, Arizona, where I stop to watch the tourists stand on the corner, take photos and buy souvenir tee shirts in the adjacent stores.  I actually do a little of that too, silly as it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winslow,_Arizona


It does have to route 66 vibe

The Eagles music is blaring at all hours here

The best promotion idea the folks in Winslow ever had ?

Murals in an alleyway on a nearby block

Navajo rug pattern designs abound here

Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy

Winslow is another railroad town

The real attraction in Winslow is the La Posada Hotel. I had skipped lunch up to this point in order to have lunch at the Turquoise Room at the La Posada Hotel.  The dining room is beautifully decorated with many woven Navajo wall hangings and historic photos.  I had the Navajo Taco from their lunch menu.  It was beautifully presented on old Harvey House dinnerware by a real Navajo waitress.  It was about a perfect lunch !  I then explored the premises which are equally interesting with lots of art work and beautiful furniture.

http://laposada.org

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winslow_station_(Arizona)



La Posada Hotel entrance

Beautiful gate and gardens

Place map depicting the locations of the original Harvey Hotels

Stained glass adds to the lighting effect

The Turquoise Room

The seven stages of drunkenness were displayed in a hallway

The Grandiose stage

The Comatose stage

A very touching note from the LaPasoda's co-owner

Painting of Ruby and Dorothy by Tina Mion


Another room in the hotel with objects of art

It's then another hour drive to Flagstaff, Arizona where I stop at the Museum Club for a beer in their beautiful rustic wooden cabin.  This is about the most ultimate place for a band to play, but I sensed an overly country vibe that I wasn't comfortable with.

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/az-museumclub/


The Museum Club's dance floor

I then went to downtown Flagstaff to wander around, needing to walk off some of my excessive lunch.  It's been a few years since my last visit to Flagstaff and it seemed somewhat different, but much the same if that makes any sense ?
  

The Hotel Monte Vista and the Babbitt Brothers store are Flagstaff icons

We need more people thinking this way in these times


Huge interesting mural on the side of the Orpheum Theater

The iconic Monte Vista sign

Another nice mural

A biking theme mural

A mural for the Northern Arizona University football team called the "Lumberjacks"

I saw a sign at the historic Monte Vista Hotel for a band in the cocktail lounge at 9 PM.  I decided to rest a while, have some soup and check it out.  As is often the case, a start time doesn't mean much to aspiring musicians.  I sat there until 10 PM when they played one song, more of a sound check and then took a break. I knew it wasn't going to be much of a session so I called it a night.

I then headed to a roadside area across from a Cracker Barrel Restaurant where I had earlier seen several campers parked.  It was a near perfect overnight location.  I had visions of the Cracker Barrel for breakfast as I went to sleep.

My home base in Tucson, Arizona is next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment