Thursday, September 12, 2019

Going to Kansas City

August 29, 2019:


Early in the morning at the Walmart parking lot in Des Moins, Iowa a storm rolls through and an amazing double rainbow develops.  Those dark clouds resulted in a short but violent downpour a few minutes later.  I waited it out a mile away at a Dunk'n Donuts store and then got on routes 235 to 35 south to Kansas City, Missouri.


I'm standing under a rainbow

I made two stops along the route in Lamoni, Iowa and in Liberty, Missouri.  I exited the highway at Lamoni to check out the Amish Shop at the exit.  I end up getting some cookies and jelly, was hoping for good amish bakery items, but there were none. I then went a couple miles away to the actual town of Lamoni which is quant but rather depressed looking.  The Jefferson Highway from "Pine to Palm" or from New Orleans, Louisiana to Winipeg, Canada passes right through Lamoni.  I had never heard of this route before and I'm not sure it's a route that anyone still uses, but could be a potential road trip some day ?


Do these women have enough kids ?

A weathered apartment building and mural

The old train depot is now City Hall and the Police Station

I suspect there was a gas station on this corner in days past


Loved this Jefferson Highway sign

I leave the highway to visit the Jesse James Bank Museum in Liberty, Missouri.  I was expected a rustic old town and was really surprised to find a beautiful, prosperous looking town.  The museum is famous as it was the first successful daytime bank holdup by the James Gang.  It also told of the divisive political issues during and following the Civil War in this area between the anti and pro slavery factions.  There was also much conflict with the Mormons.  It was also interesting that Jesse James father was a founder of the Willian Jewell College in Liberty which remains a prominent local college.  He must have been very embarrassed by this sons.    






It's a picture perfect town


A beautiful County Courthouse

The bank where the robbery took place

The interior has been restored with period correct furniture


Still the original bank vault

US and confederate currency and bank notes were taken

I arrive in Kansas City, Missouri passing the Missouri River which looks really high as there has been a lot of rain lately.  I put the Amtrak Train Station in my GPS, but somehow with the one way streets and traffic congestion I get off track.  I find that when this happens the best thing to do is to just park and figure it out before getting totally lost.  I was in a pretty interesting downtown area anyway, so I just set off walking down the street to explore.

I find that this is the Power and Light District which is a newly developed entertainment area of the city.  Everywhere I walk, I see something else in the distance or the next block.  I keep seeing more and more, but I don’t want to get too far from the van as I have only two hours on the parking meter.   I eventually return to the van, plug another hour of coins in the meter and head in an opposite direction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City,_Missouri


Looking towards the center city business district

This is on the fringe of the warehouse area

Crossing over route 35

Huge Kansas City Live music and restaurant complex, I took a few photos and a woman
working there came running over to tell me it wasn't allowed.  


The Midland Theater


The Main Street Theater

Building in foreground was covered in nostalgic music scenes

Another section of the mural

The former Aladdin Hotel, now a Holiday Inn


Upper section of the building is amazing

The people are thirsty for the Tom Town Distilling Company

So, I am somewhat happy with my downtown adventure, I saw lots of cool stuff, now it's back to the Train Station actually called Union Station.  It’s one of the great ones, a few block away and there is a parking lot with open spaces in front, amazing !  I thought this would be a good one, but really did not know that it was totally restored and one of the top rail stations in the country.  The restoration was completed in 1999 following decades of neglect.  There was a large gala event going on in one wing, women in dance gowns, Wow  Of course it was off limits to the public and the security guy was watching me and my camera with special interest.

I found a hallway with many historical signs and displays leading to an elevator lobby area.  I then found that this history exhibit continued on the second floor. It's a great museum showcasing the history through the last 100 years, the building of the station, the railroads that used it, it's glory days, its decline and its restoration and current use.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Union_Station


Union Station

Beautiful ceilings and chandeliers

Great arch leading to another huge chamber 

A truly great room

The museum was great, but way to much to information to read and comprehend in my limited time.  However, there is a free "Living history app" available at the Apple app store where you can re visit these exhibits at any time.  Below are a few samples.












A view from across the street of the fountain and reflecting pond in front of Union Station

Located on a hilltop overlooking Union Station is the National World War I Museum and Memorial.  The towering memorial can be seen for miles and was dedicated in 1926 by several world leaders. It is also a great place to look down on the city and watch the sunset.

The Egyptian Revival style memorial is located amidst a nicely manicured park 

The museum is located under the memorial


There two of these stone sphinxes flanking the memorial, one
called memory and one called future


Looking up at the top of the tower


The view of the city from the monument


I could have easily spent a week in Kansas City, tons of things to do, but my travel time is expired and I must get back to my lovely back in Tucson.


I had found that one of the Walmarts on the outskirts of town allowed overnight campers and I planned to go there, but first wanted to check out one of the city bars that sounded interesting.  I read an internet review on the "Brick" that referred to it as an interesting dive bar that often has live music.  It actually is no dive, it was very nice and clean inside, the barmaid was most pleasant, everyone was fine and the food being served even looked edible !  They were playing decent music so it turned out to be a 2 beer stop.  I then decided forget the Walmart, I will just park in this area on the street, no problem.  Overnight it starts raining hard with thunder and lightning and I am a little concerned about flooding in the morning.


Next stop is somewhere off interstate 70 west in Kansas ?

1 comment:

  1. The WW1 museum was a good one and within a short walk was the Federal Reserve Bank, that was neat! Lot's of money to see. The tourists reaction to seeing all that money is what I remember most

    ReplyDelete